Appropriate Body Work
Being committed to the very highest quality of induction for all those entering the teaching profession in Oldham and beyond, The Sanctuary has long been dedicated to supporting the Induction of Newly Qualified Teachers, in their vital induction year. At The Sanctuary we are committed to supporting schools, head teachers and NQTs on the journey from ITT, to ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ teaching.
The Sanctuary works on behalf of Oldham Council as the appropriate body for NQT induction. We provide independent quality assurance of the induction process to ensure that schools provide adequate support for all NQTs, and make sure that the assessment process is fair across all institutions. The appointment of an appropriate body is a statutory requirement, and considered good practice in all academy chains and free schools.
What we offer as appropriate body:
- Registration of the NQT with the Teacher Regulation Agency (TRA, formerly NCTL)
- Collection and monitoring of termly assessment reports.
- Named contact to give advice and support for vulnerable NQTs.
- Telephone and email support for all parties involved in the NQT year.
- Consultancy and expert guidance on the induction framework.
- Facilitated discussions with vulnerable NQTs and Induction Tutor, and head teachers.
- Quality assurance visits to ensure schools are meeting the needs of the NQTs.
- Making the final decisions as to whether or not the NQT’s performance against the Teacher Standards is satisfactory, drawing on the recommendations of head teacher/principle.
- Notifying the TRA on all decisions
- Clarity of roles and responsibilities during the induction period.
- Guidance and support for NQT’s/Induction Tutors and Heads.
- Peace of mind for all parties concerned.
If you are interested in using The Sanctuary to support the NQTs in your school, or academy chain, please contact
If you are currently an NQT and you have any concerns about your induction programme you should normally raise issues with your Induction Tutor. If the matter is not resolved, then you can use the address above to request advice and guidance.
Alternatively you may notify a named contact in the local authority who is:
Adrian Calvert (Education Partnership Lead)
The administrative contact for all NQT matters at Oldham Council is:
Stephanie Pritchard (Schools and Learning Support Officer)